Sunday 27 February 2011

essay on Lucain Freud

Lucian Freud moved with his family to England in 1993 to escape the rise of Nazism. He became a British citizen in 1939, having attended Dartington Hall school in Totnes, and then later in Bryanston school. Lucian Michael Freud was born on 8th December 1992 He is known for his thickly impasted portrait and figure paintings. From the 1960s he began to paint portrait, often nudes, to the almost complete exclusion of everything else, employing a thicker impasto. With this technique he would often clean his brush after every stroke. The colours of his paintings are typically muted. Lucian Freud’s subjects are often the people in his life. In the 1970s Freud spent 4,000 hours on a serious of paintings of his mother.  Freud has painted fellow artist, including Frank Auerbach and Francis Bacon. He is one of the best known British artists working in a representational style. He paints in a very similar way to Jenny Saville and Rubens. I like how he paints real bodies he used many colours and has a rough way of painting which is really effective. Even though his painting are a lot like Jenny Savilles’ work some of his paintings are very unique. He builds the paint up to get good tonal use. I would say Lucian Freud is one my favourite artist along with Jenny Saville because they both paint in the same way. Although some of Jenny’s paintings are disturbing I think this is something I want to look at because it’s real life images. I like how Lucian doesn’t just paint model size women but paints much larger women as well. I enjoy painting in the same style of Lucian Freud and Jenny Saville I think their work has influenced me.

No comments:

Post a Comment